All About Gastrointestinal Test
Gastro Profile Test
The digestive system is also known as the gastrointestinal system that processes food into energy for the metabolism to consume. Gastrointestinal diagnostic tests are helpful in determining whether the vital systems are working properly and to diagnose problems related to the pancreas, intestine, liver, or colon.
It is a must to get gastroenterology lab tests to make sure the digestive tract is optimally healthy. The gastrointestinal infection (GI) is caused by a wide variety of viruses, bacteria, and parasites.
The GI Panel Blood Test looks for genetic material, call it DNA or RNA, of the most common pathogens. The test can also identify if more than one microbe is behind the infection. The test is known for identifying the microbes that might go unidentified by any other tests.
The GI infection can be caused by –
- Intake of food that is contaminated by bacteria, virus, or parasite
- Undercooked eggs, poultry, or beef
- Unpasteurized milk
- Untreated water from lake, stream, or community supply
Gastroenterology test costs in India may vary according to the different cities and the starting price is Rs. 1500/-
The above test is ordered when a person has the following signs and symptoms:
- Frequent loose stools with diarrhoea
- Blood or mucus in stool
- Cramps or stomach ache
- Nausea and vomiting sensation
In some cases, the tests are not needed and only medication can treat the condition. But in some cases, gastro profile test is recommended when a person:
- Dehydration, other complications and electrolyte imbalance
- Very young or elderly with the weak immune system
- Prolonged signs and symptoms
- Has taken contaminated food from restaurant, or illness on a cruise ship
If any of the condition is worrying you, then you can feel free to have a walk-in test conducted at AMA Diagnostic Centre. It also is now offering home test kits for a sample collection from home.